Monday, September 29, 2008

Sloppy Joes Recipe

This recipe was requested by Gabriela. Her blog is just beautiful, stop by and say hi to her.
This is an altered recipe from the cook book "Not Just Beans" by Tawra Jean Kellam. I recommend this book to everyone. You can order it here Living On A Dime .
This is also the name of the newer book that also has this recipe in it.
This is the Sloppy Joes simmering and my corn cooking.

Sloppy Joes
Hamburger buns or what ever kind of buns you prefer
1 lb. Ground beef ( since I have 8 people to feed I used 1-1/2 lb. beef and then Beef Flavored TVP) to make enough.
1 med. onion, chopped
1 T. garlic powder (or more) he he
1/2 T. ketchup
2 tsp. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. lemon juice
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
I also add chili sauce to it. If you can't find it in the store it is so easy to make. The recipe will follow this:
Brown meat and onion until onion is tender and meat is no longer pink. Drain fat. Add other ingredients and heat thoroughly. When done serve in the bun. YUM!
Homemade Chili Sauce:
1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 T. vinegar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
dash of ground cloves
dash of allspice
dash of red pepper flakes (or more). Mix all this together and use or store in a container for up to 2 weeks.
I don't like many pre-made sauces or pre-made much due to the taste of preservatives so I tend to make a lot of my mixes and sauces. Plus you know what is going into it.
As you see in the picture my corn pan (on the right) wasn't very big and I had 16 ears of corn to cook, my large pan is being used for the chicken for dinner for the rest of the weeks recipes. So I decided to cook the corn ahead of time. Preheat the oven to 170. I placed a jelly roll pan in the oven with a little bit of water and placed the corn in there to keep warm so it could all be served at one time. This worked out very well.
Hugs, Bobbi Jo

1 comment:

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...

My Comments have disappeared!