Sunday, June 8, 2008
Guess what I made?
On Saturday afternoon I started my yogurt. It is sooo easy and good. It takes a little bit of waiting time to make but so cheap, healthy and yummy! I came out this morning and this was my yogurt! I was so excited. It smells so good. Tonight for dinner I added a can of peaches to some of the yogurt in the mixer and this was our dessert. The family all liked it. So I figure instead of buying the so called good for the kids (sugar loaded) yogurt and gogurts I will make our own and add the goodies for them. I encourage you to try it.
How to Make Yogurt from Candy at www.KeepingTheHome.com. She has a great blog full of wonderful information.
-1/4 cup of store bought, natural, active/live culture, full fat (not low fat or fat free) plain yogurt. (This will be your starter. After your first batch of yogurt, you can use 1/2 cup of some of your homemade yogurt as a starter instead.)
-8 cups of whole milk. Pasteurized and Homogenized is fine, but do not use ultra-pasteurized.
HOW TO MAKE DELICIOUS YOGURT
1. Pour the milk into a crock pot, and turn the crock pot on low. Leave it alone for 2.5 hours, cooking on low.
2. Turn the crock pot off, leave the cover on, and let the milk sit for 3 hours.
3. Take a cup or two of the warm milk from the crock pot, and put it in a small mixing bowl. Mix in 1/4 cup of store-bought yogurt, or 1/2 cup of homemade yogurt as your starter.
4. Mix the yogurt/warm milk mixture into the milk that's sitting in your crock pot.
5. Put the lid on the crock pot, then fold and put a heavy bath towel over the crock pot to insulate the leftover heat (leave the crock pot turned off), and go to bed.
6. The next morning, you'll have yogurt waiting for you in the crock pot. :-) Home made yogurt is thinner than store-bought.
7. Pour the yogurt into a container, cover it, and put it into the fridge. Let the yogurt fully cool down to the fridge temp.
8. Then, if you'd like to add fruit to your yogurt, put a few cups of chopped fruit (of your choice) into a blender, and blend. Then mix the blended fruit into the yogurt and return to the fridge to cool it some more.
9. When you're ready to eat the yogurt, take it out of the fridge and enjoy. :-P
Time to get ready for bed I have so many things I want to do this week and I have great news Coco, Kyle and Talmage are coming down on Wednesday. I can't wait to see them Hugs, Bobbi Jo