Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I Want To Marry You Cookies

I have a friend Melissa Stadler who I met a while back. She was a neighbor and my oldest daughters Young Woman leader. Melissa is not only beautiful inside but outside as well.
She had made my family some sugar cookies once and they were PURE heaven. Anyway Melissa has had a dream to be cooking contest winner. She was a finalist in the Pillsbury Bake-Off contest in March. Recently she won another contest for the TV show called The Perfect 3.
I just had to share this with you wonderful blog followers.

Melissa was the winner on the show The Perfect 3. Take a few minutes to watch her segment. She did a great job!

This was posted on a wonderful blog written by Mary Younkon that I follow called Barefeet In The Kitchen. She has so many yummy recipes on her blog please go check it out.

When I asked Mary if I could post her post on my blog she said yes and that she has made these cookies twice and they were a hit both times.

I Want To Marry You Cookies

First of all, this is NOT your average chocolate chip cookie. I have run across several variations of this cookie in the past few months. This past weekend, I finally had the perfect opportunity to try them. I stayed as close to the original recipe as possible, in an effort to see what the fuss is all about. (As far as I can tell, the source below is the original author of this recipe.)

The thing that sets these cookies apart from every other chocolate chip cookie I’ve made is the melted butter. Such a small thing, but it has an enormous impact on the flavor. The best part of making these? Everything happens in a single pot. Easy cleanup makes this girl very happy.

The warm butter is blended together with the sugars and it creates a rich toffee flavor that I have never before tasted in a chocolate chip cookie. The cookies positively melt in your mouth. This is the BEST second day cookie I have ever made. They taste phenomenal warm from the oven and they taste ever better the next day. I froze several of them to see how they would handle it and they were excellent as soon as they thawed.

I’m not going to bother saying that these are the best chocolate chip cookies in the world, because everyone has their own opinion on what that would be. However, these are truly some of the best cookies that I have ever made. I can hardly wait to try a whole wheat variation.

I Want To Marry You Cookies
recipe just slightly adapted from Melissa Stadler, 2011

(The original recipe stated that it makes 2 dozen cookies. Apparently, I like very small cookies, because I wound up with 5 dozen small 2-3" cookies.)

1 cup butter
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups AP flour
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (my note: the oats are not a strong flavor in these cookies, they provide a great texture, but they in no way make this an oatmeal cookie)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (my note again: this is barely discernible, but is adds a unique flavor to these cookies)
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (the original recipe called for 1 cup semi-sweet and 1 cup white chocolate, however we are not big fans of white chocolate, so I simply used all semi-sweet)

In a large saucepan (I used a 6 quart pot), melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, remove from the heat and add the sugars. Stir until the sugars are well-incorporated and mostly smooth. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.

While the mixture is chilling, mix together the dry ingredients and set aside. Remove the pot from the refrigerator and stir in the egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Add the chocolate chips and use your hands to make sure they are evenly distributed.

Roll by hand into 24 medium size balls or 50-60 smaller ones. Chill for at least 30 minutes. (I simply rolled them into balls and placed them on a couple of plates. Then I stacked the plates in the fridge until I was ready to bake them.)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Remove the cookie dough balls from the refrigerator and place them onto a large baking sheet a dozen at a time. Bake for 10-12 minutes, larger cookies will require an extra minute or two in the oven. Remove from the baking sheet immediately and cool on a wire rack.
When you make these I would love to hear how you liked them. Hugs, Bobbi Jo

2 comments:

Michelle said...

oooh I want to make these!

Mary said...

I'm glad you liked the post. The cookies are truly awesome.